Baltimore Philatelic Society
Baltimore Philatelic Society Home Page Baltimore Philatelic Society History Baltimore Philatelic Society - Philatelist Baltimore Philatelic Society Calendar Baltimore Philatelic Society Membership Baltimore Philatelic Society - BALPEX Baltimore Philatelic Society Links Contact the Baltimore Philatelic Society
Picture of the Baltimore skyline

Baltimore Philatelic Society History

 

 

 


Hotels
Bourse
Events
Cachet
Exhibits
Future Planning Palmares
Future Planning

 

 

History

 

The Baltimore Philatelic Society (BPS) was established in 1889. In the 1880’s and 1890’s, philately was very popular in Baltimore. Our old clubhouse was located at 1224. N. Calvert Street. Many past and present members have made significant contributions to philately both in Maryland and across the nation. A near complete history of the Society has been written by American Philatelic Historian Herbert A. Trenchard. Several years ago various parts of the history were published in the BALPEX program and in the Society's journal the Baltimore Philatelist. Once completed, the entire history will be printed and made available to the philatelic public. Several years ago the Board of Governors decided to name the building The Horace W. Harrison Philatelic Center to honor Mr. Harrison for all his contributions to the Society.

 

The Clubhouse

 

In July 2012, the Society purchased a property in an Ellicott City professional office park. 

 

The new clubhouse is handicapped accessible.  There are no steps to gain entry to the building.  The main meeting room, smaller quiet rooms for research or reading, the library, and rest rooms are all on the lower level.

The BPS clubhouse is located in a safe well lit area, with easy on and off access to Route 40, Interstate 70, and Route 29.

 

 

Library

 

One of the first activities of the BPS after the procurement of the Calvert Street clubhouse was the establishment of the BPS library. Early patrons included H. L. Linquest, Sol Glass, and George Turner whose initial donations of material together with other members of the hobby and private collections provided the nucleus of the present collection. In addition, the BPS received many volumes of Canadian material from the Horace Harrison Estate. Currently, the library has over 30,000 handbooks, references, catalogs, periodicals and auction catalogs some dating back to the 1880’s.

The BPS Library is currently being reorganized and computerized. All of the books have been reshelved after the move from the Calvert Street clubhouse. A team of 4 members lead by our Librarian, Jim Dail, are working on Mondays and are slowly completing the task. The library is available for members to use at the clubhouse or most books or cataloges may be checked out for home use.

 

 
Three different sections of the Baltimore Philatelic Society Library.

 

Also located at the clubhouse is the library of the Germany Philatelic Society.  It is maintained by Chapter 16 of The Germany Philatelic Society and is located in its own room.


For the convenience of our members and the philatelic community, the new building is open every Monday from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. and Wednesday 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  It is closed for all Holidays. Other times are by appointment only. However, it is always advisable to contact us prior to your visit either by phone: 410-465-5712, or e-mail:
balpex@verizon.net.


Donations

The Baltimore Philatelic Society is a non-profit organization [501(c)(3) and will accept donations of all philatelic material or literature.  Please contact us prior to your visit either by phone: 410-465-5712 or e-mail: balpex@verizon.net to arrange a drop off date and time.  The Society thanks you in advance for your generosity.

 

BALPEX

 

Since the 1930's the Baltimore Philatelic Society has sponsored an exhibition and bourse. These early shows were held in several locations throughout Baltimore.  The Deltaa Baltimore Hunt Valley Inn, located in Baltimore County just a few miles north of the City, has been the venue for BALPEX for the past thirty years.

 

 

Officers and Board of Governors

 

The current Officers and Board of Governors are listed below

and will serve until June 30, 2019

Officers

Charles Morgan - President

Aldona Pilius - Vice President

Dr. C. Michael Pfeifer - Secretary

John Ng - Treasurer

Board of Governors

Mike Carski - Balpex Chairman

Barry Casanova, Esq.- Society Attorney

Norman Cohen

James Dail

Richard Drought

Lynette Gaspar

Dick Morain

Dr. Phil Sager

Governor Emeritus

Rev. Edward Mullowney

Stanley Raffel

 
 


Home | History | Baltimore Philatelist | Calendar | Membership | Balpex | Links | Contact Us

Baltimore Philatelic Society 3440 Ellicott Center Drive, Suite 103, Ellicott City, MD 21043

Website Design by Coastal Web Services